There is a moment every Lethbridge winter when you can’t uncover the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and cold, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s important to be able to distinguish where these window drafts may be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Lethbridge home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Check to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket by the functional portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Lethbridge to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Lethbridge a call at 403-328-2517 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.